Rising Star: Ashmead Nedd

The selectors knew that Ashmead Nedd is a special talent. He has been continuously improving since he played the 2018 Under 19 World Cup in New Zealand , when he was just 17 years old. He played 5 matches in that tournament for the West Indies team. He then went to the domestic tournaments, as he knew that gaining experience at such a young age would benefit him. He introduced himself to the senior regional circuit by performing amazingly at the 2019 Colonial Medical Insurance Super 50 competition, as a part of the West Indies Emerging Players team. He took 11 wickets at an average of just 10.27, achieving an astonishing economy of 3.27 throughout the tournament and emerged as a rising star.   
  
Considering his journey, he  credits this domestic tournament as the preparation he required to accomplish the performance he did at the U19 World Cup earlier this year. In the 2020 ICC Under 19 World Cup,  he took 11 wickets with an economy of 3.54. He was also the highest wicket taker for his team in the tournament. Ahead of CPL 2020, he was signed by Guyana Amazon Warriors. Having played 3 matches, he has performed brilliantly so far. On his debut, Glenn Phillips became his first wicket in the shorter format. 
  
On the CPL 2020, his goals and aims, Nedd said: 
“My goals are simple. I just want to continue to do the right things, trust my skills and believe in myself. Once I am consistently given the opportunity to play, I want to play free, happy and continue to put my best foot forward, not only for myself, but for the team." 
“I see myself progressing to play for the West 
Indies, hopefully sooner rather than later. Mostly, I would love to play Test cricket. The unit have been performing really well recently and the unit looked so happy to be together in England, despite the challenges.” 
“Whatever happens before, during and after, we will see but representing the West Indies is my main goal and priority.” 
 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Most Underrated Test Players in Modern Cricket

Cricket's next Fab Four